So, you’re thinking about becoming Scuba Certified? Or, You’ve just become certified and wonder what you can accomplish next. If you’ve done your research, you know that Grady and Deb teach through SDI or Scuba Diving International. This post is part 1 of the different types of certifications you can achieve through SDI and Extreme Sports Scuba. If you happen to find something you’d like to know more about, contact one of the instructors at Extreme Sports Scuba and they can hook you up. So, without further delay, here is a listing of the first installment of dive certifications you can achieve.
The SDI Open Water Scuba Diver course is an entry-level certification course designed to give you the necessary skills to safely conduct open water dives. Some of the skills you will learn include buoyancy, proper weighting, marine conservation, equipment assembly, proper dive planning, and maintenance. It covers all the basic knowledge about equipment, physiology, and the marine environment while training students to perform basic skills underwater. This course is the key to start exploring dive destinations around the globe or just in your backyard.
- Prerequisites for Open Water Diver Certification:
- Minimum age 18 (10 with written parental consent)
- Students between the ages of 10 through 14 must obtain an SDI Junior Open Water Scuba Diver Certification if the following conditions are met:
- Junior students are to train and dive under the direct supervision of a parent, guardian, or active dive professional.
- When an SDI Junior Open Water Diver reaches the age of 15, they may upgrade to an SDI Open Water Scuba Diver Certification
- Materials Needed:
- Education Materials – (May be shared and re-used)
- 2 days in Classroom
- 2-3 Pool Sessions
- 2 Days of Open Water at the Lake
- We supply all equipment needed except Dive Boots
- Dive Boots
- Skills and water review for previously certified divers
- Includes new C-Card
- Classroom Only Needed!!
The SDI Computer Nitrox course is a great next step after the Open Water Diver certification and is structured in an easy to understand manner by making use of a Nitrox programmable computer. Nitrox is a breathing gas that has a lot of benefits for both new and experienced divers. The course will cover the use of Nitrox mixtures from 22 to 40 percent oxygen. The benefits of using Nitrox including:
- Increased Safety Margins
- Reduced Post Dive Fatigue
- Extended No-Decompression Times
- Adult Basic CPR and Oxygen Provider
The CPROX course is a straight forward no-nonsense approach to teaching you as the first responder to an emergency on how to handle the situation. The course is Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Oxygen administration combined into one program. You will learn how to use what is at your disposal to treat and stabilize victims until medically trained professionals arrive. Subjects that are covered included
- Scene assessment
- O2 administration