It’s HOT. I guess it is summer though, right? Have you ever heard that the corn needs to be Knee high by the 4th of July to be able to produce? Well I’m not sure about you but I’ve noticed a lot of the corn fields and they were knee high by like early to Mid June. I think corn gets planted earlier and earlier every year. But seeing as though yesterday was the 4th of July, that means that it should have been knee high… Now, you didn’t come here to hear the corn report though… Nope nope nope. Instead you came here to talk about our SCUBA gear. Today let’s talk about Snorkels.
Why do we have a snorkel? Well, we learn in Open-Water certification classes that snorkels are a piece of equipment to help conserve air. What is a snorkel? Well when you’re a little kid you learn that it is a piece of equipment that allows you to stick your head underwater and have this pipe like tube that sticks out above the water so you can breathe. The SCUBAPRO snorkel is much like those cheap snorkels we had as kids, with a little better design.
SCUBAPRO offers multiple different types of snorkels to find the perfect one for each diver. All of their snorkels are designed for ease and glide through the water with minimum resistance, because remember, they are there to help conserve air. You don’t want that extra drag, even from a snorkel, to hurt air consumption. All mouth pieces are designed of silicone to allow for correct bite for each diver as well. The idea is maximum comfort, efficiency, and no hindrance.
A quick breakdown of the snorkels available:
A top dry seals the tube when the snorkel is submerged so no clearing is necessary upon resurfacing.
- Large-bore upper tube with dry top designed for dry & easy breathing
- Corrugated silicone lower tube allows the mouthpiece to hang out of the way while diving.
- Purge valve at the lowest point removes water from entering airway.
- Regulator-style mouthpiece offers maximum fit for any bite.
- Quick-connect clip makes it easy to attach or detach from mask strap.
- Available in 10 colors
This snorkel also is a dry seal snorkel
- Lightweight design and ergonomic mouthpiece eliminate jaw fatigue.
- Dry upper valve closes upon water entry
- Flexible, corrugated lower section is easy to use and drops away from the face when not in use
- Large one-way purge keeps water from seeping in to the airway
- Quick-connect clip makes attaching and detaching a breeze
- Available in 3 colors
- Colorful upper color paired with vibrant black on the lower.
- Made of the highest quality polyurethane and silicone compounds.
- Elliptical upper barrel shaped to minimize drag.
- All around splash protection provided on top.
- High-quality purge valve below to expel any water that might try to creep into the airflow.
- Available in 5 colors
- Splashguard top design keeps water from entering the top.
- Flexible, corrugated section is easy to use and drops from face while diving.
- Angled purge directs bubbles out of sight line.
- Ergonomic mouthpiece offers maximum comfort.
- Flexible upper barrel allows snorkel to be folded for storage
- Quick-connect clip for easy attach and detach of mask strap.
- Available in 6 colors
- Built with high-grade silicone mouthpiece that moves out of the way while diving.
- Dry upper valve design.
- Lower purge valve keeps water out of airway and makes for easy clearing.
- Durable snorkel keeper ensures the Phoenix 2 stays in place and is there when you need it.
- Available in 4 colors.
- Splashguard top design helps keep water from entering the large-bore barrel.
- Flexible, corrugated section is easy to use and drops away while diving.
- Ergonomic mouthpiece enhances comfort.
- Purge valve positioned at the lowest point requires only a quick breath to clear water.
- Quick-connect clip makes it easy to attach and detach from Mask Strap.
- Available in 4 colors.
- Modern snorkel featuring upper splashguard to keep water out.
- Lower flex hose drops from mouth for quick switch to regulator.
- Purge valve positioned low to drain water that enters.
- Comfortable silicone mouthpiece that is exchangeable.
- Available in 5 colors.
So now that we’ve seen the basics of the different snorkels, the decision is left to you… which one do I choose. Makes me think of that “Which way did he go George; which way did he go?” You want to know what I have. I have the Spectra Dry because they offered purple and I wanted purple that matches my BC. And with that… I’m out.