Monday was National White Chocolate Cheesecake Day; did you participate? We did today. Yes, I realize it is Wednesday, but sometimes you just have to take one for the team. Today is National Peanut Cluster Day. Hmm… did you notice that we focus on food a lot? Well, if you think about it, our motto is, “If there’s Food, they will come.” Haha.
Okay anyway moving on. Other topics. Last fall there was a video that went around SCUBAPRO’s Facebook site and subsequently on our Facebook site, etc that was how to pack an entire set of gear into the new Hydros bag, including but not limited to, a up to a 3MIL wetsuit, mask, regulator, BC, and fins. The closer I looked at this particular video, the more I questioned the fins because it looked like the type of fins that required boots and he didn’t pack his boots. So I brought this up with our SCUBAPRO Rep and he told me that they were Go Fins.
Go Fins, what are Go Fins? I’m so glad you asked. You make my life easier when you ask these questions!
The Go Fin is designed to be a travel friendly barefoot fin. Barefoot? Meaning you don’t need boots? That is what it means, barefoot or dive sock if you don’t like to be totally barefoot. Just a thought.
So the Go Fin is designed to do just that, Go. These are designed more so for boat type dives where you don’t have to walk across rocky or sandy elements to get into the body of water. They are lightweight, comfortable, durable, and a fast performer so you can get that shark picture.
How do we know they are lightweight? Well, a M-L weighs in at 2.6lbs (or 1.2kg) including the bungee back strap.
The design combines the open heel fin with the freedom of a full foot fin. A bungee strap allows for multiple fits per fin and person as well as allowing of quick ease of on and off fins. As a bonus, the strap against the bare heel is comfortable. There again, if you’re one of those people who don’t like bare feet, they will accommodate dive socks for that added bit of protection.
The design allows for high performance. That way if you are like Dan La Due and chasing a shark, you can propel through the water at maximum speeds with the Go Fin being built with a 25-degree angled blade and a central power panel providing longitudinal rigidity and channeling effects. The high degree of durability plays into that fact to keep the fin from snapping so you can get that great picture.
But the ultimate reason for this fin is travel. Being lightweight you don’t have to worry about that weight limit of checked bags and the compactness allows these fins to take up less room so you have more room for those souvenirs for your friendly and fun-loving SCUBA blogger.
You want technical deets? Okay. By the way, deets is short for details, we’re trying to be hip and cool here.
- Lightweight design increases convenience when traveling and comfort and ease of use in the water. (For example, size XS-S weighs 1.0 kg/2.2 lbs per pair, including bungee straps; M-L weighs 1.2 kg/2.6 lbs per pair, including bungee straps.)
- Barefoot Design features a replaceable self-adjusting bungee heel strap that allows for a versatile fit and makes the fin easy to don and doff — it can also be used when wearing neo socks.
- 100 percent Monprene® construction avoids problems of de-lamination, broken blades and torn foot pockets, making it ideal for long-term, heavy-duty use.
- 25-degree pre-angled blade with a Central Power Panel provides longitudinal rigidity and creates a channeling effect.
- Power Bars on the underside of the rails prevent overflex to maintain the optimum angle of attack under high load conditions.
- Designed to fit easily in IATA carry-on compliant luggage, the Piggy Back Stack system makes packing and traveling even easier.
- Available in five sizes to cover a wide range of fitment needs. Click on the special GO sizing chart for more details.
Sizes. You want sizes? Okay I’ll help you out there…..
3XS, 10-13 Youth, 18 3/4 inches long (length of fin – heel to the tip of the hook on the front of the fin)
2XS, 1-2 Youth, 2-5 Adult, 17 3/4 inches long
XS-S, 5-8 Adult, 19 inches long
M-L, 8-11 Adult, 20.5 inches long
XL, 11-15 Adult 22 inches long
So with all this being said, what I really want you to do is Go. Haha..